Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Fascinating Amish

We were blown away at the way the many Amish in Lancaster County integrate their simple life with the hustle and bustle of a thoroughly modern town. [Watch the video below!] They plow their field with teams of horses, drive along the roads with the cars (and RV's), and hitch their horses to the ample hitching posts around town. We watched the children play in the fields, the men build their fences, and the women beat the laundry outside. I must admit it was with a little envy that I gazed their way. They don't care what the gas prices are, or if the stock market is up or down. That the long coats of last year have been replaced with belted fingertip jackets does not interest them at all. They live each day working with their hands and enjoying each other without the distractions of our modern "conveniences". I was deeply affected by this place. I look forward to my return. For those who are from Pennsylvania, I salute you. It is a beautiful place.
]